Wrestlers Lose Uneven Match With Cornell

Visiting Cornell's strength overcame Harvard's inexperience in the middle weight range Saturday, as the Redmen from Ithaca whipped the Crimson wrestlers, 19-14. The Indians clinched the match at 167, and the last three Crimson victories were merely for the excitement.

The outcome was not unexpected. Cornell has won six of the last seven Ivy League titles, and is favored to repeat this year. Crimson coach Bob Pickett was forced to juggle his line-up before the contest, and was weaker than usual in several slots.

The Indians piled up a big lead in the first four matches, and led 16-0 before the Crimson could score a point. After Harvard forfeited at 123, Cornell won three easy matches, with Joseph DeMeo pinning sophomore John Daniels at 137.

Then, much too late, the matches became close and exciting. Although the Crimson won three of the next four, Cornell was safe enough to forfeit the unlimited match to Bob Fastov, and return to New York with their second league victory.

Fred Pereira, at 177, won the Crimson's easiest match as he decisioned Cornell's Mike Wittenberg, 12-4. Sophomore Ben Brooks followed Pereira in the most exciting match of the afternoon, scoring a last-minute reversal to edge Keith Olin, 5-3.

Harvard's league prospects are now promising but uncertain. They must next meet Columbia, which is ranked second in the league behind Cornell. With only one senior on the squad, captain Bob Kolodney, the Crimson needs much more experience to assess its hopes.