Assault Case Against Undergraduate Scheduled for Trial Next Tuesday

By Richard B. Ruge

An assault and battery charge against Russell B. Roberts '64 was continued until next Tuesday in the Third District Court of Eastern Middlesex County yesterday morning. Roberts' attorney, Ronald S. Steelman of Cambridge, requested the continuance to prepare his defense.

The 20-year-old junior could face a prison term of up to two and a half years if he is convicted of the felony. Conviction would also mean that Roberts, who expects to practice law in his home city of San Antonio, Tex., would be denied admission to the Texas bar.

Roberts has denied that he over touched the arresting officer, who booked him Sunday morning after Roberts protested the manner in which another undergraduate was arrested for drunkenness. Hendrik Hertzberg '65 and Michael Silves '65, witnesses to both arrests, have corroborated Roberts' denial to the CRIMSON.

Both Hertzberg and Silves stated to the CRIMSON that the manner in which Roberts protested the other student's arrest was "respectful and restrained."

May File Complaint

Roberts is reportedly considering filing suit on the grounds of false arrest, assault and battery, and violation of the civil rights act. He may also file a complaint with the police department.

Roberts returned to Cambridge Friday after a semester's medical leave to recover from an injury sustained last Fall. He is a member of Lowell House.