SENATOR KENNEDY QUIPS ABOUT BROTHER IN D.C.

While reading through the Boston Herald the other day, we noticed that Edward M. Kennedy '54, junior Senator from Massachusetts, has given his first speech in Washington.

Kennedy, late to a Women's National Press Club dinner, remarked humorously that this was because he was giving his brother "a few tips on his State of the Union message." He added "But all he said to me was 'Are you still using that greasy kid stuff?'"

We hadn't been aware our senator was such a wit, so we kept reading. "I don't want other members of the Senate to think I'm pushing my weight around because my brother is president," Kennedy continued, "and because late this afternoon I had a rocking chair moved into the Senate chamber."

His hopes as a Senator, he announced wittily, are "to stay out of the limelight, out of the headlines, and out of the swimming pool."

When asked explicitly about his relationship to the President, he stated that he would act independently. "I've been helping him for a number of years," he said, "and I think it's time he stood on his own two feet."

Kennedy apparently admires the job Vaughn Meader did of imitating the President in his album "The First Family." The record has now sold over 4 million copies and Teddy told the dinner audience "I hope my record is as good as his."

Teddy's remarks were "the hit of the evening," the Herald reported