Police Power

The acquittal of a Harvard junior who was jailed for a night after protesting the manner in which a Cambridge police officer arrested another student brings the matter of police malpractices close to home. This was only one of several recent incidents--the Jackie Washington case being the most widely publicized--in which policemen have violated the civil rights of citizens or used undue force against them.

In Boston, the city has created a Police Review Board to hear the complaints of residents who charge abuse by police officers. Unfortunately, the Board's procedures in its hearings make it probable that its findings will be at best inadequate and at worst a whitewash. The complainant's counsel is denied the right of cross-examination, and in fact has no rights whatever except to advise his client when he is called to the witness stand. The case is prosecuted by a city attorney, and while justice for a citizen is possible when one government official examines another, it is unlikely. Also, the rules of evidence, mandatory in most judicial proceedings, are not applied in Police Review Board hearings.

Ten civic groups (led by CORE and the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Union) last week formed a Citizens Council on Police Practices. The prime order of business for the Council is to urge reforms in the procedures of the Boston Police Review Board. This is a good first step, and the Council's efforts should be supported by citizens who are concerned about this aspect of government activity.