Leighton Hits Pressure To Go to College

Asserts Businesses Overvalue Degrees

Business firms have created the dangerous idea that young men must attend college to succeed, Delmar Leighton 19, Master of Dudley House, said yesterday. He charged that business has overestimated the importance of a degree.

"Large masses are going to college for reasons that may not be valid," Leighton declared. "The real advantage of going to college is not making more money and getting a better job."

In an interview Leighton explained that he disapproved of the "tidal wave" rise in college enrollments. He said that students were not under a moral obligation to attend college unless their families had made financial sacrifices to send them.

In the business world, he said, a college degree plays a role similar to that once played by the final clubs at Harvard. At the turn of the century, a student felt he had to be elected to a club if his undergraduate years were to be a success. Today, businessmen feel a successful career depends on being a college graduate.

The company that hires only college graduates, according to Leighton, does a disservice to both the nation's colleges and its people. There is still a place for the self-made man, he added, but "he will have a bit of trouble getting jobs."

Leighton has been since first joining the College staff, Dean of Freshmen, Dean of Students, and Dean of the College. He resigned the last-named post in 1953 to become Master of Dudley House. He has announced his intention to retire this June, after 40 years as a Harvard administrator.