Crimson Smashes Cornell, 21-24, In Ivy Win; Grant, Dockery Star

By Steven V. Roberts

An old football axiom, based on a wealth of empirical evidence, says that a team cannot score when it does not have the ball. It follows that a team which consistently manages to lose the ball after it takes possession will have trouble winning many games.

Cornell corroborated this basic precept Saturday when it fumbled three times in the first half in it's game with Harvard at the Stadium. The Crimson converted all three recoveries into its only touch was of the afternoon and defeated the Big Red, 21-14, in the initial Ivy League contest for both teams.

Harvard's victory, however, was not merely a result of Cornell's inaptitude. At times the Crimson offense was awesome, combining the crashing runs of Wally Grant, the vigorous blocking of Bill Grana, the passing and play-calling of Mike Bassett and the receiving of a new star, sophomore halfback John Dockery.

Defense Steps Wood

On defense, the Crimson successfully

Two kicks by punter were buffeted by the wind and the Big Red took over on the Harvard 33. Wood quickly moved Cornell to its first touchdown, with a 18 yard pass to John Engie being the key play. Miline hurtled ever from the one, and Pete Gogolak converted.

Late in the quarter Marty Sponaugle carried for Cornell and fumbled when smashed by Jerry Mechling on the Crimson 49. Tom Bilodean, a defensive standout all day, recovered. Bassett alternatively sent Grant and Grana off-tackle and around end, and the stands resounded with the power of their running.

Grant swept right end from the 15, and was embraced by Cornell's Mike Strick on the five. Paying little heed to the impediment, Grant literally carried Strick into the end zone with him. John Hartranft's kick tied the score with two minutes gone in the second quarter.

Somewhat shaken by the onslaught, Cornell's Miline bobbled a hand-off on the second play following the kick-off. Rick Baizer made the first of his three recoveries, and Bassett returned to the attack. After several short gains Bilodean wound up with the ball on a double reverse and threw to Bassett, an eligible receiver this year under a new rule. From the 12 Scott Harshbargar raced to the 2 behind sharp blocks thrown by Grana and Bassett, Bilodean scored from the one two plays later, and Hartranft booted another placement.

Cornell ran three of the eight plays

It managed during the quarter (Harvard ran 29) and Gogolak kicked to the 37. Bassett suddenly started passing and completed three in a row to Dockery on the right side. The sophomore, given his chance by the injury to soph Dave Poe, performed magnificently. He caught five passes for 49 yards during the afternoon and gained 21 yards on the ground.

After a feeble field goal attempt from the Big Red 24, the visitors took over on the 20. Wood's lateral wasn't even close to its target, and the Crimson had another chance when Stan Yastrzemaki grabbed the loose ball. Grant bolted 10 yard to the five and Dockery four to the one yard line. After Grant was stopped on third down Bassett took the snap from Stephens and whipped a pass to Dockery who had taken one step into the end zone. The clock read nine seconds left when Hartranft made his third straight extra point.

Rarely has a Harvard team played such fierce football as in that second quarter when it scored three times. Rarely has a Harvard team looked so foolish as when Milne, on the first play of the second half, broke through right guard after a Wood handoff.

With the safeties covering wide sweeps, and the corner linebackers obliterated by fine blocks, Milne was out in the clear. He outraced Mechling for a 78 yard touchdown, and Cornell was within one score of tying the game.

The game at this point became an indecisive stand-off. But early in the fourth period the fabled Wood suddenly came alive. He ran and passed his team from its own 20 to the Harvard 42. Sophomore guard Bob Barrett then made two key tackles and Wood passed to end Bill Ponzer. The ubiquitous Barrett intercepted and Cornell hopes sank.

The Big Red had one more chance. After Harry Van Oudenallen kicked to the Cornell 35, Milne tried right guard for 11 yards. Wood sprinted for 16, his longest run of the day, and a chill gripped the collective heart of Crimson rooters (the sun dipped behind the stands).

Two runs accounted for five yards, and Wood faded to pass. Jeff Pochop put on a strong rush, and Barrett deflected the pass. On fourth down Wood again looked for a receiver, but had his vision impaired by Pochop's massive frame. His screen pass to Milne was several feet short, and Cornell was through.LEFT: WALLY GRANT (12) SWEEPS BY THE CORNELL DEFENSE, AIDED BY A BLOCK FROM BILL GRANA(34). RIGHT: TOM BILODEAU (18) LIES ON THE GOAL LINE.

Cornell ran three of the eight plays

Cornell ran three of the eight plays