Princeton Fullback Cosmo Iacavazzi Named Top Ivy League Back of Week

Columbia's Roberts Also Excels

Princeton's bruising fullback, Cosmo Iacavazzi, has been named Ivy League Back of the Week. The 5-11, 195-pound powerhouse from Scranton, Pa., earned his distinction after scoring three touchdowns and turning in another superlative effort for the Tigers in their weekend thrashing of Pennsylvania.

Iacavazzi's touchdown romps were for 1, 13, and 15 yards. Iacavazzi, one of the finest fullbacks ever in Ivy circles, gained 83 yards on 16 carries for 5.1 per try. In addition he intercepted a pass to set up one of the Tigers' tallies.

Iacavazzi was second team all-Ivy last year as a sophomore when he led the Tigers in scoring with 42 points on seven touchdowns as well as finishing tenth in the circuit in rushing. He is an aeronautical engineering student at Princeton.

Pressing Iacavazzi for Ivy League brilliance is Columbia's Archie Roberts. After three weeks of activity in Ivy League football. Columbia's junior quarterback leads the circuit in three offensive departments.

Roberts, the Ivies' leading passer in 1962 and record-holder in three season categories, is again the best passer with 37 completions for 397 yards and a completion average of .607. In addition, Roberts leads in total offense--436 yards--and scoring--24 points.

Princeton's talented backfield due of Don McKay and Iacavazzi are the Ivies best in the rushing department. McKay, a tailback, has gained 141 yards to top fullback Iacavazzi's 132. Brown's John Kelly is third with 131 yards.

Bob Hall, Brown's fine sophomore from Walpole, trails Roberts in two of three departments, total offense and passing, while Iacavazzi and McKay of Princeton are behind the Columbia quarterback in scoring with 18 points each.

The team statistics:

(Through Oct. 13, 1963) Team Offense       Per   Att.  Yards  Game 1. Princeton  126  607  303.5 2. Harvard  70  276  276.0 3. Dartmouth  104  498  249.0 4. Cornell  46  248  248.0 5. Yale  129  494  247.0 6. Brown  205  686  228.7 7. Columbia  178  647  215.7 8. Penn  125  318  159.0