Religious Groups To Urge Action For Civil Rights

In an effort to stimulate religious students to participate more actively in the civil rights movement, four nations religious groups will sponsor a Student Leadership Conference on Religion and Race to be held in Washington, Nov. 17-20.

Six students from Harvard and Radcliffe will join delegations from sixty national campuses at the conference, which will be sponsored by Hillel, the Catholic College Students, Newman Club, and Student Christian, Federations.

One important problem that the inter-racial conference will discuss is the relationship of all-white associations to the civil rights movement.

Upon returning to their own campuses, representatives to the conference will urge fellow members to participate in the civil rights movement within the large scope of established groups such as SNCC and CORE.

The Reverend Richard Mumma of the Harvard-Radcliffe United Ministry said yesterday that although the theological ideals which motivate students to participate in the conference may differ, ultimate action in the drive will be most effective if undertaken by a united force.