Yardling Teams Split Contests

Freshman teams won one of two away contests yesterday. Soccer triumphed over Exeter 4-0, while the Cross Country team was felled by Andover 24-34.

The victory over Exeter is the second in as many outings for the soccer squad. Previously, the freshmen had beaten Tufts Frosh, 3-0. Harvard play in today's game was sharp, but the normally sophisticated Exonians were not on a par with teams of former years.

Harriers Lose

In contrast, the freshman, harriers found in Andover an opponent too powerful and too deep for their talents. Although the final score was not close, James Smith put in a fine performance for the Crimson by taking second place.

He was barely edged out for first by Andover's Howe, who was clocked at 12:59.6, less than three seconds faster than Smith's 12:59.0. Both came relatively close to the course record of 12:48.0. Before the meet, Smith was elected the Freshman captain.

In winning Andover took the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, and eighth positions. Harvard managed second, third, seventh, tenth, and twelfth.