Young Dems Choose Frazier's Successor; Howe Raps Invitation

The executive committee of the Young Democratic Club accepted "with regrets" the resignation of T. Jefferson Frazier '64 as president, then went into executive session to elect his leading opponent, Burt L. Ross '65, as his successor.

Ross' victory last night was his second in three days, coming in the wake of the executive committee's decision to invite Alabama's Gov. George C. Wallace. Ross had been a leading proponent of the invitation, which resulted in Frazier's resignation.

Ross won 8-1, with two abstentions. A committee member reported that the same people who had voted to invite Wallace supported Ross, while those opposing the invitation either voted against Ross or abstained.

"No Plot"

Some observers had felt that Frazier's resignation could have been avoided if the Harvard-Radcliffe International Relations Council's invitation to Wallace had not been kept secret. But Frazier told the CRIMSON last night, "To the best of my knowledge there was no plot involved." He said there were "no hard feelings" between himself and Ross, but declined to comment on whether Ross was the best choice for president.

Earlier in the day, Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, who was originally scheduled to debate with Wallace, attacked the position taken by Ross and adopted by the executive committee. "I think the Young Democrats hurt the Democratic party by following this course," he said.

"I don't see any point in having him here on his own. I didn't see much point in having him here even to debate," Howe added.

The executive committee's selections must still be confirmed by the general membership. While committee endorsement is by no means tantamount to election, one committee member commented that any opposion "seems to have been pretty well routed." A membership meeting was scheduled for 7:20 p.m. Wednesday.