Glimp Would Have Masters Adjust Rents

The Financial Aid Office has no interest in administering the rent adjustment fund under the new system of uniform room rates, according to Fred L. Glimp '50, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids. The Masters suggested transfer of the fund to the Aid Office at their regular meeting Wednesday.

Glimp said yesterday, that the fund "could be more effectively handled by the Masters, since they are in a better position to spot a House member's financial strain." The Masters, he suggested, "are in direct contact with the men and know whether or not they really need help."

Surplus Rental Money

The new adjustment fund will be created from surplus rental money not used for upkeep of the Houses. It will be used for needy students who do not hold scholarships, as well as for those who have lost them because they are on probation.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, explained that "a lot of wasted time and bookkeeping" could be saved if the Masters' recommendation to transfer the fund were followed. They have administered the fund under the variable rent levels that have been in effect since the Houses were built.

Master's Argument

Problems have arisen when one House had a surplus and another a dearth of money for adjustment purposes in any given year, Taylor said. In his opinion, the new proposal would achieve needed flexibility and be more practical than the old system, since the Aid Office has had partial responsibility for some time anyway.

Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Assistant Dean of the Faculty, said that any increased scholarship needs created by the uniform rents would be relieved "outside the dormitory system."

Taylor advised that students could still consult the Masters about a grant from the fund if the Financial Aid Office were to assume responsibility. He said that he and his colleagues might constitute a "court of appeals," if a student were dissatisfied with the Office's decision.