President Names Group to Study Draft Reject Rate

The Kennedy Administration is attempting to develop a guidance and training program for the large numbers of men who cannot meet the basic physical and mental standards of the armed forces.

The President said Monday that he was "deeply concerned" by statistics showing that 50 per cent of those called by draft boards last year were unable to pass armed forces physical and mental examinations.

He named a committee to study the problem of draft rejects, and asked the group to develop a program of "guidance, testing, counseling, training and rehabilitation of youths found disqualified for the armed forces under the selective service system..."

He named Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara to head the committee. Also serving on the group will be Labor Secretary W. Willard Wirts; Anthony J. Celebresse, Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare; and Gen. Lewis Hershey, director of selective service.

The President called for the guidance program both to help the armed forces and to cut unemployment. "Today's military rejects include tomorrow's unemployed," he explained.