Prof. Howe Agrees to Appear On Platform With Gov. Wallace

Televised Debate Proposed

By Ben W. Heineman jr.

One of Harvard's leading advocates of civil rights, Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, has agreed to share the platform with Alabama Governor George C. Wallace during the Governor's visit to Cambridge this Fall.

Talking on the tentative topic. "Civil Rights and the Constitution," both men will have 30 minutes to express their views. Wallace will precede Howe, according to T. Jefferson Frazier '64, president of the Young Democrats.

Further discussion will respond to questions submitted in advance to Arthur E. Sutherland, Bussey Professor of Law, who will chair the meeting.

Wallace, however, has specifically objected to debates at other universities and may refuse to appear with Howe, since the proposed format is sill subject to his approval.

But as plans now stand both the Governor and Howe will appear on November 4 before an overflow crowd in Sanders Theatre and the live television cameras of WGBH-TV.

Rights Groups React Mildly

The reaction of Boston civil rights groups to the YDCHR invitation has been relatively mild, said Frazier. Answering charges that the club was "insensitive" to the feelings of Negroes, he reiterated that an invitation "in no way constitutes an endorsement." Harvard is the proper forum for such a discussion: "In civil rights there is the need to take a dispassionate look, to step back with detachment," he said.

The proceeds from the meeting will be used to bring another Southern speaker to Cambridge. John Lewis of the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee is one such possibility.