Harvard's Harriers Rated Favorites Over Weak Dartmouth Squad Today

By Richard P. Sorensen

Dartmouth is first and foremost a football school--almost to the exclusion, in fact, of anything else. Merely running up and down hills in skimpy, non-padded uniforms barely qualifies as a legitimate activity at a place that prefers its sport in more violent forms.

Though they may be viewed as slightly alien creatures, the Harvard cross country team should therefore have very little trouble in dispensing with the Dartmouth runners at Hanover today. In their last 11 meetings with Harvard, the Indians have managed only two victories, and last year suffered a 17-46 pasting.

Dartmouth coach Ellie Noyes has only three returning lettermen from last year's less-than-outstanding squad. Noyes has not been looking forward to the Harvard meet. Earlier this week he said that the Crimson has "the best five man team we shall see all year."

This was quite a mouthful when you consider that Dartmouth had just suffered a 15-49 near shutout at the hands of Brown last weekend. The Indians have also been beaten by Middlebury, Manhattan, and Penn, and finished second to Yale in a triangular meet with the Elis and Columbia.

Harvard should be near top form for today's meet. Last Saturday an alling Crimson team narrowly edged a weak Columbia squad, 27-28.

John Ogden, who did not run at all against Columbia, has been working out all week and should be ready to back up the "big three" today. Harvard's number three man, Bill Crain, appears to have gotten over the ailments that forced him to run at half speed last week.

Counting on Hewlett

The Crimson will again count on one-two finishes from sophomore sensation Walt Hewlett and captain Ed Meehan. And barring the unexpected, Crain and Ogden should finish third and fourth. Sophomores Langdon Burwell and Dave Allen, who have been improving rapidly, will probably also be among the top finishers.

The only Indian runners who appear capable of preventing a Crimson sweep are Eric Thompson and Lee Daneker.

The Crimson is pointing now to the Big Three meet in New Haven next Friday. Although Harvard is the clear favorite, Princeton has a fine runner in Ray Somer plus some depth, and will be primed for an upset.