Study Center May Remain Open 24 Hrs.

'Cliffe Considering Night Study Dates

By Ellen Lake

'Cliffies may be able to have all-night study dates in the new library study center, Mrs. Barbara M. Solomon, dean of East House, said yesterday.

Describing the new center to members of the Radcliffe Government Association, Mrs. Solomon said that although it would be too expensive to keep the entire library open all night, it was conceivable that a room would be open for 'Cliffies and their dates.

The four-story center, to be located on the corner of Garden and Shepard Streets, may be ready by December, 1965, President Bunting said at the meeting. This would be possible if the college raised most of the $2 million still needed by June, 1964; the center will cost $4.5 million in all.

With room for 450 students, an increase of 36 per cent over the 330 student capacity of the present Radcliffe library, the new building will house all the books, magazines and newspapers presently in the library in the Radcliffe quadrangle. That building will be used to house the 'Cliffe archives and the Institute for Advanced Studies.

More Study at 'Cliffe

Primarily a library, the new center will also contain seminar rooms, and faculty offices to try to attract more academic activities to Radcliffe. There will be a small painting exhibit on the second floor and a poetry room and a lounge for coffee breaks on the fourth, or penthouse, level.

The lower level, which is below ground, will contain a "language laboratory" in which students may listen to duplicates of the tape recordings in Boylston Hall. There will also be a film room on that floor and typing rooms on each level.

The new building, which will be airconditioned, will be built around an open courtyard with a shallow pool in one corner. A terrace on the fourth floor will open onto the courtyard area. Most of the books will be on the second and third floors in alcoves containing desks for studying.