Crimson Booters Edge Indians, 2-1

The varsity soccer team stunned Dartmouth 2-1 yesterday and found itself in a three-way tie for first place in the Ivy League, matching the 3-0 records of Princeton and Brown.

The Crimson owes its first place position to its first-period play. It was, as Coach Bruce Munro put it, "really precision soccer." Just two minutes into the period, Chris Ohiri opened the scoring with his sixth goal in three games. He now has four games in which to score another five goals and top his own Ivy season record.

Harvard's other score came later in the same period, as Fred Akuffo took a pass from Ohiri and slammed it through the Big Green nets.

The victory was a tribute to Munro's short-pass strategy, with Harvard in virtually complete control of the ball during the first period. "If they had sustained that play," said Munro, "the score would have been astronomical." But they didn't and it wasn't.

Instead, the Crimson lapsed from great play into good playing. After a stand-off second period, the Dartmouth left wing managed to score on a shot that was deflected off the hand of Harvard goalie Jim Tyng.

Not until well into the final period did Harvard really come close to increasing its lead. Mac O'Malley, lying on the ground in front of the Indian nets, drove through an amazing shot,' only to have it nullified on the freak call of "dangerous play."

While Crimson play after the first period was less than spectacular, it was more than adequate. The team had spent the week concentrating on short passing and clearing, and both showed marked improvement over the Columbia game.

Pre-game worries over injuries proved groundless, with only Bob Knapp being used sparingly.