Dean Griswold Aids Law Student Facing Felony Charge in Virginia

Erwin N. Griswold, Dean of the Law School, is helping Fred L. Wallace 3L, a Negro who was indicted Sept. 17 by a Prince Edward County, Va, grand jury for felonious assault. Wallace faces trial Oct. 23.

The Law School is, however, avoiding any direct involvement in the case. According to Richard Klein, a classmate of Wallace's at Amherst, the Law School fears that direct intervention by Harvard might prejudice Wallace's trial by bringing unfavorable publicity to the case.

Griswold Won't Comment

Dean Griswold refused to comment on the case. Griswold, after talking with Wallace, called the case to the attention of the Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights, Inc., according to Bernard G. Segal, co-chairman of the Committee. The group, in turn, has retained George M. Allen, former president of the Richmond Bar Association, as counsel for Wallace.

Dean Griswold has written a personal letter of recommendation to the judge in the case, stating that Wallace has a fine reputation in the Law School. In addition to this action, the students, under Kiets's direction, have organized a fund drive within the Law School to help pay Wallace's expenses.

Wallace went to Farmville, Va., July 23, and became involved in an argument with a policeman in the courthouse adjoining the jail. Wallace allegedly resisted arrest, and a scuffle developed in the sheriff's office when five officers tried to serve the warrant.

Wallace was convicted Sept. 27 of four misdemeanor charges. He faces a fifth charge of "wounding with felonious and malicious intent to maim, disfigure and kill," which could bring a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.

Commenting on the prospects for getting Wallace off without a prison sentence, Allen said, "I was born and raised there (Farmville) and I know everybody. County Judge Hay and prosecuting attorney Watkins are not men likely to be prejudiced. Now, according to Judge Hay's remarks on the case, the boy got into a fight with a police officer and resisted arrest. This is a serious charge in any state. Of course, he's a young boy, and his youth is in his favor."