Deans Say Scholarships Will Cover Rent Boost

By Joseph M. Russin

Deans Ford and Glimp yesterday gave firm verbal assurances that scholarship money would be increased enough "to cover fully" the effect of the new single rent rate going into effect next year.

At a press conference called to explain the decision, Ford said the scholarship pool would only have to be increased by two per cent, or about $30,000, to allow the scholarship office to increase stipends where necessary. He promised the money would be made available.

Glimp said that while stipends might not in every case be increased exactly the amount of the added rent charges, he felt confident "no student would be forced to leave Harvard College for financial reasons." He noted that improvements in family financial positions and normally increased student earnings would in some cases help students now paying less than the new standard rent--$255 per term--to meet the figure.

Arthur D. Trottenberg, Assistant Dean of the Faculty for Administrative Affairs, explained that the new rent adjustment fund, created by charging students $5 per year more than the College actually needs to operate the House system, will be used to help those students not receiving scholarship aid but having difficulty in paying the standard rent.

He scoffed at the "notion that many people will be hurt by the new rent," pointing out that of the 1350 students now paying less than $510 a year, "63 per cent of the increases will be $60 or less."

In response to an objection from R. Thomas Seymour '64, chairman of the HCUA, that the Administration had failed to consult with his group and had snubbed its committee on rents, Trottenberg said he had "no idea that the Council was plowing ahead on a report." Other members of the Administration noted the idea of uniform rents had been discussed for several years.

Ford added that while the HCUA investigation was "reasonable," it was "like a very small boat which cut across the beam of a very large freighter which had changed course."

Defending the rent decision, Ford said he doubted it could create serious financial problems for students but would eliminate some of the "haggling" over rooms that now plagues the Masters. He called the unanimous approval given the plan by the Masters as "uncommon phenomenon."

"Democratisation"

Glimp added that the new system might make it easier for Harvard to attract students by removing ability to pay as a criterion for room allocation. Dean Moore agreed, calling the change another stop towards "democralisation" of the House system.

Another possible drawback--increased applications for Leverett and Quincy--was discounted by Dean Watson, who said he saw no reason why the new Houses would attract more sophomores than at present. He said there has actually been a "steady decrease" over the past two years in rate of application to these Houses.

Members of the Administration disagreed on the amount of room changing the uniform rent and allocation by seniority would inspire. Although it was reported that Yale students, who pay a standard rent, often shift rooms annually, Glimp observed that "there is a general propensity for creature comfort" in New Haven which he doubted exists at Harvard