Varsity Soccer Team Will Face a Feeble M.I.T. Today

The varsity soccer team will seek its third straight victory today against a weak M.I.T. squad on the business school field at 3 p.m. After its taut 4-3 victory against Amherst Saturday, coach Bruce Munro's squad should have little trouble against Tech this afternoon. The game will be rebroadcast on WGBH-TV, channel 2, Oct. 17.

The Crimson is in top physical condition, with only one minor injury. Senior inside John Thorndike is still feeling the effects of a pulled leg muscle. He missed practice Monday, but the injury is not serious, and he will probably see action today. Thorndike began the Crimson scoring against Amherst with a goal midway through the second period.

M.I.T. has also played two games, losing both: one to Worcester and the other to Trinity. For Harvard, today's game is a prelude to Saturday's first League contest against Cornell.

More Than Football

The Crimson freshman team also plays today, beginning its '63 season against Tufts at 3 p.m. on the freshman field. Nearly 160 members of the class of '67 tried out for the soccer squad, making this year the first in which there were more candidates for freshman soccer than for freshman football. The squad is still large with about 60 members.

In Ivy competition, Penn has confirmed pre-season indications that it was the team to beat. In their first two contests they vanquished Dartmouth, 5-0, and Cornell, 3-0. Penn shared the Ivy League championship with Harvard last year.