Sailors Face Tough Competition In 23rd Running of Schell Regatta

The Crimson sailing squad will compete Saturday and Sunday in the crucial Schell Trophy Regatta at the M.I.T. Sailing Pavilion. The Schell Regatta, won by Harvard yachtsmen two years ago, traditionally decides the unofficial New England fall sailing championship.

About a dozen teams will compete in the Regatta, including Georgetown, New York State Maritime Institute, Ohio State, St. Mary's of Nova Scotia, M.I.T., University of Rhode Island, Dartmouth, Brown, and last year's winner, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

Stookey, Prince to Start

Starting skippers--this weekend will be senior Dave Stookey and junior Tim Prince, with possible assistance from David Gantx, also a senior. Gants and sophomore John Clapp will handle the crewing ponts.

This is the twenty-third year of the Schell Regatta. It is conducted each year in honor of Erwin Schell, the M.I.T. professor who instituted the sailing program for Techies.

Crimson Has Hopes

Although the Harvard sailors have not had a very successful season so far, they hope to be in contention for the Schell Trophy. The Crimson can probably count on placing among the top three in the Regatta, but much will depend on the strength of the defending Coast Guard squad.

The Crimson yachtsmen have falled to cop a first place so far this season; their record stands at four seconds, three thirds, one fourth, and two fifth places. Remaining meets after this weekend are the New England Team Racing Championship at M.I.T. on Princeton weekend, and the Potomac Frontbite on December seventh and eighth.