Charities Drive Begins; Ford Promises Support

One-hundred one volunteer workers of the Harvard-Radcliffe Combined Charities Drive last night heard Dean Ford pledge firm Administration support for their efforts. He spoke at the Drive's kickoff dinner.

"No undergraduate activity has more importance and none more assured support than yours," Ford told the solicitors, House captains, and advisors of the campaign. "In the midst of all the nonsense that goes on in this University, this is a heartening thing."

Ford gave the guest speech after R. Thomas Seymour '64, president of HCUA, and David A. Murdoch '64, chairman of the drive, had mixed parietal jokes with exhortations to their workers and with assurances of the reliability of their management of the drive.

"Over 2500 volunteer man-hours are going into this campaign," Murdock said. "You solicitors must get to everyone in your entries, and you House captains must provide the spark needed to make this thing go."

"If we do the job, this drive will collect $25 to $30 thousand for worthwhile charities." Last year's campaign netted $31 thousand.

Specific Request Ended

One difference between this and last year's campaign is the elimination of a request that each student give at least $10. Explaining the change, Murdoch said, "We believe each Harvard man knows his financial situation better than we do. The amount of his contribution is his decision, and it's a decision I'll respect."

Murdoch assured his audience that the Charities Committee had thoroughly screened the recommended organizations for worthiness, and was quick to add that any charity recommended by the committee or not, can receive money through the drive. "Each contributor can designate his donation for any charitable organization," Murdoch said.