New Apartment Registry To Keep Anti-Bias Rule

The University has announced that although its Housing Registry-the service which lists apartments for students, faculty, and employees-will be administread by a different organization starting next month, landlords will still be required to sign anti-discrimination pledges.

The Registry has been located in PBH for several years, but has been too understaffed to allow the University to centralize apartment listings for the entire University and fully to investigate complaints about landlords. Next month, however, Hunneman and Company will administer all lists of University-owned buildings and off-cam-pus apartments in the University Housing Office, to be located in the former Ambassador Hotel building.

At the present time, some of the schools within the University maintain, their own listings of apartments, which has led to some duplication and confusion. The consensus among University officials is that the new centrally located office will avoid much of the present confusion, and allow a greater degree of attention to the problems of individual students.

In order to be listed with the University, landlords must sign a pledge promising not to refuse to rent an apartment or room because of a student's race. When the Registry receives complaints about landlords, it usually hires graduate law students to investigate.

If the Registry is satisfied that a landlord does practice discrimination or is unethical in some other way, the landlord's name is permanently removed from the University's lists.

The new office will still be an arm of the University. Shepard Brown '50, vice-president of Hunneman, a private realty agency, pointed out that "We've been employed to manage this service for the University." No fees will be charged to anyone using the office.

When the Married Students' Center opens next summer, the University will own a total of 940 apartments.