Eliot Clinches House Football Title

Eliot House clinched its third House football title in four years yesterday, closing the season with a 21-0 victory over Dudley. The championship was assured when a surprisingly strong Quincy eleven fought to an 8-8 tie with Leverett, which had been tied with Eliot for the league lead.

Coach Bill Burnham's Elephant squad was paced by quarterback Elliot Topkins, who tossed two touchdown passes to end Jelf Lambert. The other Elephant score came on a 17-yard dash by senior fullback Bob Yager. Topkins and Eliot co-captain Pete Wood buttressed the winners' defense. Eliot was threatened by the efforts of the Commuters' quarterback Brian Asher, who accounted for 130 yards through the air.

Leverett scored first on a 65-yard swing pass to fullback Jev Shelton. Quincy then surged back to tie the score before the halfway mark. Quincy back John Thomson was caught behind the line, and lateraled to teammate Skip Falcone, who scampered down the sideline for the TD. Most of the second half was played in Quincy territory, but the Bunnies were unable to push over a tie-breaker.