Stuart Hughes, Dr. Benjamin Spock May Be Next SANE Co-Chairmen

By Michael Lerner

H. Stuart Hughes and Dr. Benjamin Spock will probably be the next co-chairmen of the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy, the CRIMSON learned last night.

Both have agreed to having their names submitted as candidates at the meeting of the SANE executive board Nov. 25. Hughes, professor of History at the University, is a former independent candidate for the U.S. Senate. Dr. Spock is an internationally known expert on child care.

Reached in Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Spock said he "had been asked about this, and I told them I would accept the proposal if they could get Stuart Hughes to serve, too." Dr. Spock joined SANE a year and a half ago. He lectured and recorded radio commercials for Hughes during the latter's unsuccessful Senate campaign last year.

Spock said he thought the function of SANE co-chairmen was "essentially to lecture and write impassioned pleas to people." He added that "I would be very proud to serve with Stuart Hughes. I admire him very much."

Nomination Unconfirmed

In New York, Homer Jack, executive director of SANE, said that no announcement of new SANE co-chairmen would be made until after the peace organization's executive board meets Nov. 25. The executive board has to pass on new co-chairmen.

"It could be that we will have some dark horse candidate or some unexpected nomination any time in the next ten days before the meeting," Jack said. "It could well be that a Hughes and Spock candidacy is in the works. I doubt that there will be unexpected nominations, but I am not sure."

Cousins, Pickett Replaced

If Hughes and Spock are elected, they will replace Norman Cousins of the Saturday Review and Clarence Pickett, former director of the American Friends Service Committee. Dr. Spock was uncertain how long his term of office would be. "I think the present co-chairmen have been in there almost since SANE began," he said. "I imagine you retire when you can find someone to replace you. If it's like other things, you get out when you can."