Bear Cubs Maul Yardling Gridders

Freshmen Handed First Loss Since '61

Harvard's freshman football team, which had not been beaten since November 25, 1961, rolled up a two-touchdown lead over Brown yesterday--and then fell apart. The Bruin cubs scored four times in the last period and a half of the contest to hand the Yardlings a jolting 28-12 defeat.

The two clubs battled to a standstill for the first quarter, but then began to follow the script which the Crimson envisioned. Pat Conway sprinted past the Brown defenders for a thirty yard gain to the one, and Matt Donnelan plunged over for the tally.

Nursing a 6-0 lead in the third quarter, Harvard scored again--and again it was Conway who did the damage. Emerging from the shadow of highly touted half-back Bobby Leo, he romped 55 yards over a carpet of Brown jerseys to give the Crimson a 12-0 bulge.

Then the roof fell in. Brown took to the airways, and marched down the field, finally scoring on a short buck. With fumbles and interceptions plaguing the Yardlings, Brown got possession of the ball and took the lead on a 30-yard pass play in the waning moments of the antepenultimate stanza.

Brown put 14 more markers on the scoreboard in the last quarter; their tallies were set up by a Crimson fumble and a pass interference call, both deep in Harvard territory.