Soviet Tourist Group Visits College, To Hear Speeches by Pipes, Glimp

By Alison J. Dray

A group of Russians will tour the University today as part of a week-long visit to the Cambridge area. T' 21 Soviets arrived in Boston on Sunday to begin a three week trip through the eastern United States sponsored by the Experiment in International Living.

The Russian party, which spent Monday and Tuesday at M.I.T., consists of young professional workers from various regions of the Soviet Union. The 15 men and 6 women include engineers, teachers, miners, a collective farm chairman, a journalist for Komsomolskaya Pravda, and a representative to the Supreme Soviet.

The group will be welcomed to Harvard this morning by Richard E. Pipes, associate director of the Russian Research Center and Fred L. Glimp '50, Dean of Admissions, who will talk to the Russians about American education. After a standard Crimson Key tour and lunch in the Houses, the group will break up so that individuals may visit departments of particular interest to them.

From Thursday to Sunday, when they will fly to Dayton, Ohio, the Soviets will participate in a wide-ranging program of tours and sightseeing that includes visits to schools, stores, factories, and farms, a reception with Gov. Peabody, and a meeting of the Boston Action Group in Roxbury.

The tourists were chosen for the trip by the USSR Bureau of International Youth Travel, which based its selection on profession and on geographical distribution. In Cambridge this week, the Russians are living in homes of Harvard and M.I.T. faculty members where there is at least one Russian speaker. Only two of the Soviets speak English.

After a week in private homes near Dayton, the Russians will travel to Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and New York City. Jane D. Andelman '64, who visited the Soviet Union last summer on as Experiment trip, will accompany the group as an interpreter during the remainder of the tour.