Students Suggest Kennedy's Name For 10th House

The Winthrop House Committee voted unanimously last night to request the Corporation to name the proposed tenth House after President John Kennedy.

In a letter to President Pusey, the Committee asked that, "as an eminently fitting tribute to the memory of the late President of the United State, the tenth undergraduate House be named the John Fitzgerald Kennedy House."

"Thoroughly Appropriate"

According to Robert S. Benson '64, chairman of the committee, Deans ford and Trottenberg and David E. Owen, Master of Winthrop House, have "all thought it thoroughly appropriate that the committee should make such a proposal and they have all shown some enthusiasm about the suggestion."

"Their reactions to the idea have convinced me that the proposal will receive serious consideration by the Administration," he said.

Benson also said that he planned to contact the chairman of all the other House committees "to have them present the proposal to their committees for ratification."

Of the existing nine Houses, only two, Adams and Dudley, have not been named after former University presidents, Adams Houses derives its name from the whole Massachusetts Adams family, many of whom were closely connected with the College, and Dudley House from Massachusetts Governor Thomas Dudley, one of the College's first overseers.

Library not Enough

The Winthrop Committee emphasized that Kennedy also had unusually close ties with the University, as indicated by the large number of Harvard professors he employed as personal aides in Washington, and by the interest he showed in the University as an alumnus.

Benson said that the committee did not feel that the proposed memorial library would adequately fulfill the committee's intention to perpetuate the President's memory.

"That is not even a University project," he said. "This would come from the hearts of undergraduates."