Hewlett Finishes Twelfth In Annual NCAA Meet

Sophomore cross-country star Walt Hewlett finished 12th out of a field of more than 170 runners in the annual NCAA championships at Michigan State yesterday. Crimson captain Ed Meehan ran 70th.

Hewlett began the four mile race very slowly, but picked up his pace midway over the course. With 300 yards remaining he commanded a strong eighth position, but was out-kicked by four other runners at the finish.

As expected, Villanova's Vic Zwolak walked off with the personal title, completing the course in 19:35. Hewlett finished thiry-five seconds later at 20:10 while Meehan turned in a 21:10 performance.

San Jose State took the team honors with a score of 53. Notre Dame, the IC4A champion, was second with 68. San Jose placed four runners in the top 18. Jeff Fishback, their strongest finisher, took a third place. In the Ivy-League, Brown was the only school to finish appreciably near the top by capturing 12th place.

First Time Since 1938

Yesterday was the first time since 1938 that Harvard entered the NCAA campetition. It was the biggest running in the meet's 25 year history.