Prep, Public Schools Differ on End Of Radcliffe's Fall Admissions Plan

While private schools reacted "most favorably" to the termination of Radcliffe's Early Decision Plan, public schools showed "considerable disappointment," Margaret W. Stimpson, Radcliffe Director of Admissions, said yesterday.

The opposing attitudes illustrate two different conceptions of the senior year's function, Mrs. Stimpson noted. The Putney School told Mrs. Stimpson that it is "pleased to stop the program." Putney, and several other private schools, have found that "early notification of acceptance makes the senior year less meaningful to students," she said.

In addition, after one girl has been admitted, others whose class standings or College Boards have been higher expect to be accepted in the spring.

On the other hand, the large public schools are "eager to alleviate the tremendous pressure" that builds up during the final year, Mrs. Stimpson explained. They tend to assume that successful early decision candidates will maintain their academic standards until high school graduation.

Thirty of the 76 students accepted last week are from the Middle Atlantic states, whereas about 20 were accepted from New England. Mrs. Stimpson believes this indicates that the large public schools, like those in New York City, emphasize early admission more than New England's.

She added that one of the reasons the program was terminated is that early decision candidates "do not really stand out academically beyond their freshman year."