Eliot Gridders Stun Funsters, 28-0, Take Over Lead as Deacons Lose

Upset Tightens Race

Eliot House unveiled an "X" formation offense Tuesday that produced four second-half touchdowns and powered the Elephants to a 28-0 win over Dunster. The victory, coupled with Quincy's surprise 14-2 defeat of league-leading Kirkland, boosted Eliot into undisputed possession of first place in the league standings, and virtually assures the Elephants of at least a tie for the championship.

The Jumbo footballers and coach Bill Burnham devised the new formation during half-time, after the offense had been unable to move the ball during the first two quarters. On the Elephants' first play from scrimmage in the third period, halfback Tink Gunnoe slanted off tackle for 75 yards, and the game was all Eliot the rest of the way.

Offensive Ineptitude

The new formation solved an offensive ineptitude that had plagued the Elephants all season. The 28-point output exceeded the total Eliot scoring for its last five games in which a stalwart defense had managed to salvage three wins and a tie.

Sparking the new offense was the pass combination of quarterback Elliot Topkins and junior end Curt Lemkau, who accounted for two touchdowns in the last quarter.

But all the Elephant heroics would have been in vain, had the Quincy eleven not pulled the upset of the season against Kirkland. The win was Quincy's first, and shattered Kirkland's hopes for the league title, barring an unlikely Dudley win over Eliot next week in the Elephants' final scheduled game.

The Quints scored on the third play from scrimmage when Skip Falcone connected with end Jim Rome on a bootleg pass play covering 60 yards. The Deacons countered with a safety later in the period, but their defeat was sealed on the last play of the half when fullback Chuck Stuckey, mainstay of the Deacon running attack, was knocked unconscious by a host of Quincy tacklers.

With Stuckey gone in the second half, the Deacons were unable to generate a sustained offense. Two interceptions haled their passing attack, and bruising defensive play by guard John Balley and end Jerry Dauderman stopped the running game.

Only Leverett now has a chance to catch the Eliot squad, should the Elephants beat Dudley. The Bunnies, 3-1-1, have games with Winthrop, Quincy, and Adams remaining on their schedule.

The winless Puritan squad should not present much of a problem, but Quincy, on the strength of its upset win over Kirkland, must rate an even chance to knock off the Leverett eleven