Undefeated Sextet Favored To Beat Bowdoin Tonight

By Joel Havemann

Last Saturday it was Harvard who invaded the state of Maine, to try their luck against the Colby sextet. The result was a crushing 1-2 victory. Tonight at 8 p.m. a different Maine representative, Bowdoin, will visit Watson rink, but the outcome should be about the same.

Coach Cooney Weiland feels that the varsity, after a 4-2 win over Northeastern, began to jell against Colby. All three lines proved their ability to score, coming up with two goals each. On the other hand, Bowdoin's record shows an unimpressive 5-2 loss to Brown.

Bill Lamarche's line, with Ike Ikauniks and Barry Treadwell on the wings, has been particularly impressive in the Crimson's first two games. Lamarche has two goals thus far, while his linemates each have one. Ikauniks adds defensive ability to this high-scoring trio.

Sophomore Gordon Price, centering for captain Gene Kinasevich and Baldy Smith, is improving in early season play. Smith leads Crimson goal scorers with three markers.

The performance of the all-rookie third line has been particularly encouraging. Weiland has rotated Pete Sahlin, Ken Burnes, Jorge Gonzales, and Pete Miller on this line in last week's games. John Stevens, recovered from an eye injury, will join these four tonight. Sahlin and Burnes are juniors-the rest are sophomores.

The defensive pairs tonight will be John Daly and Mike Patterson, and Bill Fryer and Bob Clark. Weiland plans to dress only four defensemen, so that he can legally try out all five men in different combinations, on the third line. Brandy Sweitzer, effective so far, will remain in the goal.

Several streaks are on the line tonight. Harvard has an eleven game winning streak over the last two years. They haven't been defeated at Watson Rink since December, 1961, when Clarkson turned the trick. They've beaten Bowdoin three times without a loss in their brief series. Tonight at ten you can probably add one to each of these figures.