RGA Braces for New Rules Fight; Gilman Even Picks a Representative

By Ellen Lake

Today's RGA meeting will probably witness a vehement debate over the controversial issue of sophomore sign-out rules.

The legislature will resume debate on a motion, introduced last spring, to extend junior-senior social rules to sophomores. Speaking on behalf of the RGA rules committee, Mrs. Bunting last week urged that the legislature defeat the motion and leave sophomore rules as the currently are.

It is uncertain whether the motion will come to a vote today, and the outcome of such a vote is equally foggy. Although RGA representatives generally supported the motion last spring, some observers feel that Mrs. Bunting's report may have changed some votes.

There seems to be little general consensus among students over the rules question. A substitute motion introduced last week to give automatic 3 a.m. permissions to all sophomores was praised as "creeping licentiousness." The motion was later withdrawn.

The only strong agreement is among sophomores, who support the motion and ienounce the rules committee in vehement terms.

Gilman House students felt so strongly that Monday they elected June M. Green gold '66 to vote for the liberalization motion at the RGA meeting. In the past, Gilman has had no RGA representative.

But several student that they had heard few strongly voiced opinions over the controversy. "It's just not a burning issue." Molly t. Geraghty '64, president of Briggs, declared. "Some sophomores think that unlimited sign-outs would be a convenience, but no one is very excited."