University Aids Grant Program

Harvard is cooperating with eight other universities in a new program of fellow ships offered by the Ford Foundation. The program is designed to stimulate careers in international service by offering grants to students with at least two years working experience in a "developing nation."

Returning members of the Peace Corps received 32 of the 41 fellowships awarded this year. Three Harvard graduates were among the Peace Corps reciplents.

The three College graduates to receive fellowships were Newell Fiather '61, David L. Sxanton. '60, and Joseph W. Julian '60.

Both Flather and Julian worked in Africa during their two years with the Peace Corps. Flather taught in Ghana and is presently studying African history at Columbia. Julian served as a geologist in Tanganyika and is now at U.C.L.A. working for a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology. Sxanton, who was a teaching aid in the Philippines, will do graduate work in the social sciences at the University of Chicago.

Each fellowship provides up to $1200 for tuition fees, and living expenses. Recipients have enrolled or will earl at one of the nine cooperating universities. There are currently four former Peace Corps members studying have on subjects ranging from public health to logic and methodology in science. Three are seeking Ph.D's.