Seven Powerful Foes This Weekend To Test Crimson Teams' Potential

Three Home Games Crucial

By Richard Cotton

The amount of drival about Harvard sports appearing in East Coast newspapers this weekend will no doubt be endless, but with good reason: seven variety teams will participate in the biggest sports Saturday of the fall.

There will be quality as well as quantity, however. Six of the seven contests tomorrow (the exception is basketball) will pit Crimson teams against some of the roughest competition they will face all year. All three home games will be particularly vital in assessing the strength of the Harvard Squads with the Army track meet ranking just slightly higher in importance than the McGill squash match or the wrestling match with Franklin and Marshall.

The hockey team's journey to Brown should indicate the outline of this year's fight for the Ivy League crown. A Crimson victory here would not only make the variety a favorite for the title, but would also brighten the prospects for Monday's key ECAC contest against St. Lawrence.

Army traditionally provides the Harvard track team with its toughest test, and Saturday's meet in dingy Briggs Cage will simply extend this tradition for another year. The Cadets, last year's Heptagonals champions, have been hurt only slightly by graduation. Nonetheless, the variety managed a victory last year, and its traditional early season strength, coupled with its perennial power in the field events may get the trackmen off to another excellent start.

The best swimming team in Navy's history will host the Crimson in Annapolis, and will no doubt provide much tougher competition than they did last year when Harvard gained an uncomfortably narrow eight-point victory.

McGill's squash squad, Canadian national champions, invades Hemenway Gym for one of the season's two toughest matches.

Matmen Meet F & M

In the IAB, the wrestling varsity will discover how strong it really is after tomorrow's encounter with Franklin and Marshall. The Pennsylvania grappling power edged the Crimson 15-14 last year.

Both the fencing and basketball squads depart from Cambridge's friendly environs: the fencers to the decidedly inimical atmosphere of the powerful C.C.N.Y. fencing team, and the hoopsters to the amiable surroundings of a weak, almost hapless, Williams quintet.