Crimson Matmen Smash F & M, 18-9; Lightweights Pace Team to Triumph

Smith Impressive in Defeat

By Donald E. Graham

The Crimson wrestling team closed out its pre-Christmas schedule with a decisive 18-9 victory over Franklin and Marshall Saturday.

It was a fine showing by all the matmen, who had dropped a 15-4 decision to the always-powerful Diplomats last year, but perhaps the most impressive individual performance came from one of the three wrestlers who lost.

Sophomore Brian Smith wrestled masterfully against F & M's heralded Saul Shimansky at 130 pounds, and took a 7-6 lead into the closing two minutes. Even after the Diplomats' star reversed him and gained a predicament in the final-minute, Smith never stopped moving. Though he lost 10-7, Smith served notice that he will give any 130-pounder a match.

In fact, from the look of Saturday's match, none of the Crimson lightweights is going to be a pushover for anyone this year. Pete Keeler (123) outpointed the Diplomats' Michael Wood, 2-0. Classy Howard Durfee (137) rolled to a 2-0 win over F & M captain Dale Kistler, and Brian Conley (147) topped Neil Thompson, 3-0. Durfee and conley used a variety of leg rides effectively in wearing down their more experienced opponents.

The Crimson's second loss came at 157, where Jack Mamana, wrestling his first match since an ankle injury sidelined him earlier in the year, bowed to F & M's Paul Martin, 2-1.

Captain Fred Pereira got the Crimson back on the winning track at 167 trouncing John Taylor, 5-0. The Harvard captain rolled up brakedown a reversal and a point for riding time, but was unable to score a pin against his dogged opponent.

Brooks Clinches Win

Franklin and Marshall's Bob Dubner brought his team back to within three points of the Crimson with a 6-4 win over sophomore 177-pounder Lamar Fortig. The score now was 12-0, and Harvard needed a win to put the match on ice.

But the result wasn't in doubt for a minute as Bon Brooks decisively decisioned Diplomat 191-pounder Tom McBea.

Heavyweight Task Chace iced the cake by beating Bill Schneidermas 4-1 in the real match.