Sextet Whips Larries, 3-1; Overall Hustle Sparks Win

By Joel Havemann

The names and the faces were the same, but the Harvard hockey varsity which whipped St. Lawrence 3-1 here last night was not the one which succumbed to Brown Saturday. Yesterday's hard-checking and fast-skating team would have powered Saturday's Crimson clear out of Watson Rink.

Since St. Lawrence generally has one of the top four eastern hockey teams, last night's decisive victory re-established the Crimson as a leading power in the East. The Brown disaster should prove to be a freak rather than a trend-setter.

The Crimson's ability to maintain its aggressive play during the second period made the important win possible. The Larries held Harvard even over the first 20 minutes, but yielded two goals, in the middle period as they lost much of their drive.

Though scoreless, the first period contained more action than the entire Brown game. Larry goalie Bob Perani made two great saves on Ken Burnes during an early Crimson power play. Soon afterwards, Gordon Price just missed twice on short shots from in front of the Larry net.

The fast skating and solid checking continued throughout the period. Accurate St. Lawrence passes and an only-occasionally lax Harvard defense forced Crimson goalie Brandy Sweitzer to come up with several brilliant saves. Harvard had some more near-misses of its own--Baldy Smith hit a post and Barry Treadwell aid the puck just inches beyond an open corner of the Larry net.

Only Harvard maintained the pace during the second 20 minutes, and to good advantage. Seconds after Perani robbed Treadwell, Bob Clark stole the puck as St. Lawrence tried to clear their sons. His centering pass bounced off Larry defenseman Vince Egan and past a disgusted Perani for the Crimson's first goal.

The Crimson continued to skate hard and clear the puck well from in front of their net. At 12:22, Gean Kinasewich took the disc from Price and drove it cleanly past Perani for Harvard's second goal. Switzer came up with two fine saves on rebounds during Larry power plays as the period ended.

During the final 20 minutes, play became looser on both sides. At 4:28, Paul Wicks carried through the Crimson defense to beat Sweitzer from in front of the Crimson net and put St. Lawrence back in the game.

However, hustling Ike Ikauniks put the contest out of the Larries' reach at 9:10. He took the puck in front of the St. Lawrence net on relays from Treadwell and Bill Lamarche, and slid it between two Larry defensemen to beat the screened Perani.