Cadet Swimming Squad Smashes Crimson, 57-38

Army Racks Up Seven Events As Harvard Drops 2d Straight

The varsity swimming team does not seem to be having the best of luck with the armed forces lately. Army handed Crimson swimmers their second loss of the season last night, repeating the score of last Saturday's Navy meet in a blistering 57-38 onslaught.

The Mules captured seven events in the course of the evening. From their first victory with a 3:47.3 in the medley relay until they closed the show with a 3:21.3 in the free relay, the strongest team in Army history never relinquished the lead.

But Harvard, paced by freestyle ace Dave Abramson, turned in a creditable performance, matching the Cadets with a pair of sweeps. Bill Chadsey and Bruce Fowler turned in the best times of their careers as Chadsey led the 1-2 breaststroke finish with a 2:19.

Abramson led the other Harvard sweep as the paced teammate Bill Frey to an easy 5:24.9 victory over Don Shive in the 500 freestyle. Earlier, Abramson upset Bill Landgraf in the 200 free in 1:51.7, six tenths of a second off his own University record set last year.

For Army, Steve Bliss, who took the 50 free in 22.5, followed his All-American teammate Tony Clay in a 49.3 victory in the 100 free. Tim O'Hara in 2:09.2 and Larry Heddegen sewed up the backstroke for the Cadets.

In the closest event of the evening, Alex Alexander racked up 77.10 points to better Harvard diver Dan Mahoney by less than three tenths of a point. It was Mahoney's first loss of the season.

Harvard had a hand in upsets, too, as Henry Frey downed Paul Bucha with a 2:07.7 in the individual medley.

This second defeat, one short of Harvard's total for the last five seasons, gives the Crimson a 1-2 record with a long vacation to recover from the shock. But the Jan. 11 meet at Dartmouth should be a little easier, so wait till next year.