Puzzling Hockey Team Battles Toronto, Minn.

Harvard's erratic society varsity will attempt to learn its true calibre in two games over Christmas vacation. Tomorrow night at 9 p.m. the Crimson faces the Toronto University sextet in the Boston Garden Hockey Festival, and then plays the University of Minnesota Monday night at 7 p.m. Both games are at the Garden.

How the Crimson does against these two teams will depend largely on which of its two images the team chooses to display. Recently the sextet has shown distinct tendencies toward achizophrenia.

Tickets for the two Harvard games at the Garden are available at a discount to undergraduates at the HAA Ticket Office, 60 Boyiston St.

Against a spirited, but only adequate Brown club last Saturday Harvard blew a two goal lead in the final three minutes and didn't get a shot off in the overtime as the Bruins handed the Crimson Its second Ivy League loss in three years.

But somewhere between Providence, Rhode Island and Watson Flink, the Crimson lost its lethargy and on Monday came roaring back to defeat a strong St. Lawrence team, 3-1, and keep intact a 18 game undefeated streak at home.

But before Harvard fans had time to get their hopes up, the varsity ran into a powerful Army squad and succumbed, 5-1. Logically if Harvard continues to follow this pattern of alternation, it will trounce Toronto and lose to Minnesota.

Although this logic has proved attractive to many past Harvard teams (cf. this year's football team), the two contests should reveal the face of the real Harvard team. After a shortened vacation the sextet will play Boston University on Jan. 3, and Norwich University on Jan. 4.