University Eligible for Federal Aid

Harvard is eligible to receive funds under the recently passed college construction bill, Thomas Curtin, Massachusetts Deputy Commissioner of Education, reported yesterday.

Under the Higher Education Facilities Act passed by Congress last week. Massachusetts will receive $7.4 million, the eighth largest amount granted. $6 million will be made available to public and private colleges with the rest going to public community colleges and technical institutions throughout the state.

The bill authorized the expenditure of $180 million for each year until 1967. The amount given to each state was determined on the basis of the number of secondary school and college students in each state. The largest grant, $20.6 million, went to California.

The money is to be used for the construction of facilities in the fields of the natural and physical sciences, engineering, mathematics, modern foreign languages, and libraries. Preference in awarding the funds will be given in those cases where the construction will result in a substantial increase in the institution's enrollment capacity.

If it wishes to receive a share of the money, the University will have to apply to the Massachusetts Board of Collegiate Authority which has been named to administer the grants in Massachusetts.