Crimson Matmen Pulverize M.I.T.; Chace, Pereira Spark 21-7 Victory

By Donald E. Graham

The Crimson wrestling team's one-ring circus opened its 1963 run tonight with a performance that seemed to bode well for the future of the show. The matmen clobbered a visiting M.I.T. squad 21-7.

Starring for Harvard was sophomore heavyweight Tack Chace, who scored the Crimson's lone pin of the evening. He disposed of the Engineers' veteran Kim Sloat with a body press in two minutes of the third period. Chace piled up a 10-2 lead before finishing off his man.

Outstanding in the supporting cast was Captain Fred Pereira, who rolled up three predicaments and two near falls in coasting to a 19-4 win over tenacious M.I.T. sophomore Lou Jackson in the 157-pound match.

Sophomore Impress

The Crimson's five sophomores piled up a total of four wins and one tie, including Chace's win, and looked very classy in doing so.

Howard Durfee took a quick 8-2 lead over Don Frederickson in a 137-pound bout and then had to hang on as his experienced rival came from behind to make it 8-6 in the last period. But Durfee reassumed command and was ahead 12-6 at the match's end. Brian Conley, undefeated as a freshman last year, used an assortment of leg rides effectively in decisioning Marland Williams 5-3 at 147 pounds.

177-pounder Lamar Fertig, the last Crimson sophomore, lost his chance for victory when the referee penalised him one point for stalling. The point gave M.I.T.'s Bob Wells a 4-2 lead and Fertig's late reversal earned him only a tie.

In other matches, 123-pounder Pete Keeler was trapped in a near-fall in the first period, but rebounded to score a 6-6 tie against Tom McAuley. Jack Daniels (157) was Harvard's only loser, but he gave Engineer captain Mike Williams a rugged battle before bowing, 9-7