Swimmers Splash Past Weak Gymnasts, 75-20

The varsity swimming team overwhelmed Springfield College 75 to 20 last night in the season's first meet. Swamping their opponents, the squad took all but one of the ten events.

Crimson swimmers finished 1-2 in six of nine of the individual races and took the 400 yard freestyle relay and the 400 yard medley relay. In perhaps the finest early season performance, Bill Chadsey, the team's number-one breaststroker, turned in a fine time of 2:20.1 for the 200 yard breaststroke.

The only event that the Maroons were able to take was the 200 yard butterfly. This was the evening's only exciting race, as Springfield's Skoog outkicked Harvard's Harry Turner in the last lap to win in 2:14.1.

In the freestyle events, Crimson captain Dave Bennett and Dave Abramson took the 100 and 200 yard races with times of 52.8 and 1:54.9. The 50 and the 500 yard swims were captured by Elliott Miller and Bob Buster in times of 23.2 and 5:45.7.

Lincoln Places First

Sophomore Al Lincoln unexpectedly placed first in the 200 yard backstroke with a good early season time of 2:15.4. Diving was won by Dan Mahoney with a score of 85.45 points.

Earlier in the day, the freshman swimming team met their counterparts from Springfield and trounced them 64-29. Outstanding for the Yardlings was James Seubold who eclipsed a previous freshman record in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:54.3.

The varsity's easy triumph over the Maroons may be the last smooth sailing for the mermen in a long time. December 14 they travel to Annapolis to meet Navy's midshipmen. Four days later they face the cadets from West Point. Both meets should provide real tests for the team, as Army and Navy are perennially rated among the top in the East.