RGA Group Opposes Sign-Out Extension

RGA's rules committee will recommend today that unlimited sign-out privileges not be extended to sophomores, as was proposed last spring. In addition, the committee will ask that sophomore and second-term freshmen be required to get permission from their head residents or dormitory presidents in order to sign out past 1 a.m.

The recommendations will be made at this afternoon's meeting of the Radcliffe Government Association. In addition, the group will ask that first-term freshmen be allowed to stay out until 1 a.m. their allotted 30 times without special permission.

Despite the committee's negative proposals, considerable support for extending sophomore sign-outs still exists in RGA, and some observers expect a heated debate today if the original motion comes up for discussion.

Members of the rules committee reportedly feel that sophomores are not prepared to handle the responsibilities entailed by unlimited late permissions. They may point to the "sophomore slump" as an example of the problems encountered in the second year of college.

Also to be presented today is a report, compiled by the committee, stating that extended sign-out permission has had no significant bad effects on juniors. In writing the report, the committee studied last year's sign-out books and consulted officials at the University Health Services. The report will also be presented at today's meeting.

Both the recommendations and the report stem from a motion last spring that unlimited sign-out permission be granted to sophomores after Thanksgiving, 1963.

Discrepancies among dorms in granting late permissions are reportedly behind the proposal that sophomores and second-term freshmen be required to get permission for late signouts from their head resident or dormitory president. Now these students need only ask a member of their dorm committee for permission to remain out until 3 a.m. To remain out after 3, they must ask the head resident.

Last Spring's motion, therefore, will probably be considered today after the committee report is delivered. Although the committee opposes the motion, considerable support for it probably still exists.

The rules committee consists of Presi- dent Bunting; Mary H. Winslow, dean of residence; Lois M. Reiser '64, president of RGA; Gall E. Thain '64, president of the Board of Hall; three representatives from RGA, and representatives from each of the three houses. The Masters of the houses are ex-officio members