CRCC Asks More Undergraduates To Tutor Roxbury Negro Students

"More undergraduate volunteers are needed to work with young Negro students in Roxbury," a spokesman for the Civil Rights Coordinating Committee said last night. There are a great many grade school students who need help in such elementary subjects as geography, English, and math, he added.

The Committee, which was established last November, will hold its first meeting of the new term tonight at 8 p.m. in the Tocsin office, basement of Quincy House. So far, the group has helped to recruit students for work in tutoring, housing, and a selective patronage campaign.

Tutors will not only meet with their students in a classroom situation; at least one conference is planned this spring to allow young Negroes to talk on a more informal basis with undergraduate volunteers. "There is a great deal of mutual misunderstanding--and of bitterness on the part of some Negro high school students--that can only be explored in confrontations of this kind," explained Lucia Clapf, Boston representative to the Northern Student Movement, who was present at a similar meeting in Harlem.

There will also be a tutoring program in Boston throughout the summer, as a part of a wide-scale project that the Northern Student Movement is operating in six Eastern cities: Boston, Harvard, Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington.