College Tuition to Stay Same; Ruling Delayed on Room, Board

Last Rise Came Two Years Ago

By Efrem Sigel

There will be no tuition increase at Harvard for the academic year 1963-64, President Pusey has disclosed. But a final decision on room and board rates for next year will not be made until the end of March, when the University's budget is decided on, Arthur D. Trottenberg, assistant dean of the Faculty for business affairs, said yesterday.

Other University officials have given assurances that room and board rates will remain the same next year. A ten percent across-the-board hike in room rents went into effect this fall.

Cornell Announces Rise

Two other Ivy League schools have announced tuition rises recently. Cornell will raise tuition to $1700 next fall, and Dartmouth has announced a two-step tuition rise to $1675 in September, 1963, and $1800 in September, 1964. Columbia will raise tuition to $1700 next fall, as the second half of a two-part increase.

Harvard's last tuition rise came in the fall of 1961, when the present rate of $1520 (including health service fees) went into effect. The $200 increase followed a rise in faculty salaries of $500,000 in the previous year.

Three Changes Since '55

Since 1955, the College has raised tuition three times. A $200 increase was instituted in September, 1954, and two years later tuition went up another $250, again following an increase in faculty salaries.

Ten years ago, tuition for undergraduates stood at $600. Total University expenses then were $33,500,000--less than 40 per cent of the present figure. Although tuition has increased to $1520, tuition, room, and board account for only 28 per cent of the University's income, compared with 37 per cent in 1952.

There has been no announcement as yet about Radcliffe tuition for 1963-64, but it is certain to remain unchanged. By agreement with the Corporation, Radcliffe tuition is maintained at the same rate as Harvard's.