Quakers Trounce Crimson By Lopsided 78-53 Margin

Still nothing from a 74-45 drubbing at the hands of Princeton on Friday night, the Crimson basketball team received little better treatment from Penn Saturday as the Quakers romped to a lopsided 78-53 victory.

Harvard once again could not develop an adequate defense, and when the Crimson offense failed to materialize, Penn pulled steadily away. The Crimson actually took on early lead sinking two quick baskets, but Penn came back quickly and tied the score. The lead reserved back and forth until, with seven minutes left in the half, the score was tied at 13 all.

Then the Crimson seemed to fall apart, while the Quakers came suddenly alive. In the final seven minutes, Penn scored 15 straight points, broken only by a alone Crimson field goal.

Penn Sinks 14 Points

Desperate to stop the wild Penn scoring surge, Coach Floyd Wilson switched to a man-to-man defense for the first time this season in the second half. Unhappily it proved of little use, as Penn rank its first 14 points of the second half without missing a shot.

Obviously feeling ill-at-ease in their new defensive formation, the varsity still could not contain the potent Penn offense. The Quakers had easily and accurately shot over the Crimson's 2-3 some in the first half. Now they drove through the Harvard defense as well as shooting over it.

Sid Amira and John Wideman, Penn's two representatives on the Ivies' list of top ten scorers, hit well for the Quakers, playing havoc with both Crimson defenses. The man-to-man proved particularly ineffective, however, against the two Penn guns.

For the Crimson, Vern Strand topped the scoring for the second night in a row, hitting for 16 while Leo Scully rank eleven.

The loss drops Harvard into sixth place in the Ivy League with a 4-5 record just behind Brown, which upset Cornell Saturday night. Penn and Princeton are now tied for the Ivy lead with 7-3 records, closely followed by Yale, 6-3.