Hayes Supports Callahan's Plans For Mass. Pike

Cambridge City Councilor Daniel J. Hayes charged yesterday that local politicians, civic groups, universities and boat clubs are opposing the imminent extension of the Mass. Turnpike into Boston because of traditional animosity to William F. Callahan, chairman of the Turnpike Authority. "It's basically the same old anti-Callahan fight." Hayes told the CRIMSON, "but they can't stop the road."

Under the Callahan plan eight acres of the Charles River would be filled in to make room for the Turnpike Extension. Callahan has met stiff opposition from Cambridge groups which fear that Magazine Beach, a riverfront recreational area near MIT will be submerged to compensate for the fill-in on the opposite bank.

But, according to Hayes, the Callahan Plan offers benefits, not dangers to Cambridge. Hayes claims Magazine Beach will be improved if it is changed at all, and that Callahan may consent to build launching ramps for boats, a parking lot, and even a skating rink along the Charles, using Turnpike Authority funds.

Dozens of 'Poonies and assorted Gargoyles of both sexes attended the Council meeting, but were disappointed by the absence of Councilor Alfred E. Vellucci, who was abed with the Asian flu. The controversy over the fate of the Lampoon castle will be taken up in Council next week.