News at the Kiosk

Circling the Square

By Steven V. Roberts

There was a time, fondly remembered by the denizens of this fair University town, when one could go to bed secure in the knowledge that next morning one's daily portion of truth would be dished up along with the powdered eggs and watered grapefruit juice. For many, this assurance was a rock to cling to in the darkest hour. Whatever might happen, the New York Times would endure.

The New York Times. The very words have a lilt, not unlike clanging ashcans tossed from a refuse truck. What a treasure chest: James Reston, intrepid reporter and pulse counter to the Nation; Craig Claiborne, gourmet par excellence; Orville Prescott on books, Bosley Crowther on movies, Ross Parmenter on music; Seymour Topping reporting from Moscow, Drew Middleton from London, Roy Silver from Rockville Center, David Halberstam from wherever there was trouble, and Farnsworth Fowle, ace of the city-side crew.

All this is gone now. The mighty presses are silent. But life must go on. To borrow a newspaperman's phrase, Don't cry over spilt milk, it might have been scotch." And so for the last few months Cantabridgians have their way to the Out of Town newsstand in the Square and there, amidst the fumes of MTA busses, have sought to compensate their gnawing sense of loss.

Principal beneficiaries of the New York strike have been the local morning papers. The Herald, mainly because it carries a truncated version of the New York Times news service, has attracted the most Times-less readers. But the Globe, which manages to carry just a bit more news on its front page than the menu at Howard Johnson's has also picked up many readers.

Many have turned to reading out of town papers. The Washington Post, which runs garish color pictures on the front page and Walter Lippmann and Herblock inside, as a fine paper, and can be bought daily in the Square. Just to balance Lippmann and Herblock, the Post also Roscoe Drummond, a garrulous fellow somewhere to the right of the late Sen. Henry Dworshak.

The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Baltimore Sun, and during the recent government crisis in Canada the Montreal and Toronto papers have also sold well. The proprietors of the newstand also reported several muffled telephone requests fos "Laramie Bomerang," but suspect some sort of practical joke.

Since the Out of Town stand carries papers from all over the country many students have started reading their hometown papers, although most come in a day or two late. Of course since since just about everybody comes from New York anyway this is not too much of a problem.

Actually, a recent visit to New York reveals that the natives are subsisting on rather meager fare. A group of young businessmen are putting out the New York Standard, a puerile sheet that appears to be a cross between the Ohio State Lantern and the Hadassah News Letter. The Newark News, a more than adequate paper, has stopped shipping papers to the city because it loses money on them. A few other second-rate newspapers drift in but they aren't much help.

Back in Cambridge, the continental set is snapping up the London Observer at a rate of 500 per week, and both the London Times and Le Monde are sold out every day. The former, however, bears a striking resemblance to an embalmed copy of the Boston Gazette of 1775 now on exhibition in the Elio House library. And Le Monde of course has the distinct disadvantage of being in French.

Magazines have also picked up in sales. Henry Luce (a Yalie) is still selling distressingly large numbers of his magazine. Newsweek now under the same ownership as the Washington Post, is making slow but steady progress in its circulation figures. But the Square still remains perhaps the only place in the country where almost as many copies of the Economist and the Manchester Guardian Weekly are sold as copies of Newsweek and Time. This week the New Statesman is devoted to a special report on American culture. It has also picked up a number of regular readers since the strike.

The smaller American "journals of opinion" have all made their pitch for Time-less readers. The New Leader is publishing communiques, albeit 10 days late, from New York Times correspondents, and The New Republic is running regular dispatches from its foreign reporters.

Some even continue to read the CRIMSON.

Some even continue to read the CRIMSON.

Some even continue to read the CRIMSON.