Assoc. Profs. To Get $500 Salary Raise

By Efrem Sigel

The University will institute a $500 across-the-board salary increase for associate professors next year, Dean Ford revealed at a press conference yesterday.

Under the new pay scale, salaries for associate professors will range from a minimum of $9000 to a maximum of $11,500.

At the same time, the celling for professors' salaries will be raised $1000 to $21,000. However, there will be no automatic increases for professors in the top bracket, President Pusey said; each case will be decided individually. The minimum for full professors remains at $12,000.

The increase is the first major rise in faculty salaries since July, 1960, when instructors and assistant professors were granted across-the-board raises of $500. At that time the total bill for the increases came to $500,000, necessitating a hike in tuition the following year.

Harvard Salaries Highest

The American Association of University Professors reported last April that Harvard "is in a class by itself" when it comes to paying faculty salaries. A survey conducted by the AAUP showed that the average Harvard salary of better than $15,000 was the highest of any college in the country.

The only category in which the University did not receive a "double A" rating from the AAUP for its pay scales was associate professorships. Dean Ford said, "but the present increase will remedy that."

The University spent a total of $23.7 million on faculty and other salaries for the fiscal year 1961-62, and President Pusey predicted that this figure would rise by five per cent next year. A little over $10.5 million of the total went for faculty salaries.