News from Other Colleges

Few Yalies at Lectures

Despite the appearance of Walter Judd and 11 other speakers, who be walled "the plight of the individual in mass society," last weekend's Yale Challenge colloquium attracted 500 fewer listeners than last year.

An audience of 1500 had originally been predicted, but a mere 950, including only 300 Yale undergraduates, attended the three-day series of lectures.

On the program besides Judd were Paul Goodman, a Columbia professor who called for a general decentralization of society, and panel discussions of slum life and "the creative role of the artist in society."

Expel Ten AMN Students

Ten Arkansas Agricultural Mining and Normal College students have been expelled for refusing to obey Arkansas AMN's President Lawrence Davis' request to stop the sit-in demonstrations in the local Pine Bluff chain store.

The sit-ins were organized by the Pine Bluff student movement at the suggestion of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee which planned a series of demonstrations across the South starting Feb. 1, the date of the first sit-ins staged three years ago in Greenboro.

William Hansen, field secretary for SNCC, who participated in the sit-ins, reported that notices were placed in school buildings Feb. 11 requesting that all students who had been involved in the demonstrations see Davis.

Hansen said that ten students, most of whom were members of the PBSM, received notice of their suspension within the next few days.

AM & N Student Government President James E. Dorsey said the demonstrators on the first day consisted of about 17 students. This number swelled to nearly 45 the next day, Dorsey said, but sank to only ten following Davis' warning to stop the demonstrations issued immediately after the participants began to increase in number.

The ten students who were expelled continued to demonstrate even after they had received word of their suspension.