Sextet Slips by Yale 6-5, Win Clinches League Title

By Efrem Sigel

In a game marked by long stretches of dull and sloppy hockey, short stretches of furious scoring, and too many penalties, the varsity hockey team held off a third period rally to down Yale 6-5 at the Boston Arena Saturday night. The victory gave the Crimson its third straight Ivy League title.

Mike Patterson opened the scoring for the Crimson at 5:48 of the first period, with Yale a man short, and 47 seconds later like Ikauniks made it 2-0, on assists from Blakey and Patterson.

Before the end of the first period the first line of Blakey, Ikaunika, and captain Tim Taylor accounted for two more lightening-quick goals. Blakey pounced on a loose puck and drilled it past goalie Mike Hanson at 12:35, and at 12:54 Harry Howell scored on a long slap shot, with assists from Taylor and Ikauniks. Yale scored twice, on a backhand by Bill Hildebrand at 10:30 and a short drive by Frank Bishop at 15:54.

The period ended with Davy Johnston being banished two minutes for "delaying the game," an infraction normally reserved for the football field. "Why don't you penalize him 15 yards?" one local partisan yelled, as Johnston skated into the penalty box, shaking his head slowly.

In the second period the game got louder and funnier. After Yale had failed to score with a two-man advantage, Bill Lamarche drilled in his own rebound at the five minute mark to make it 5-2 Harvard. But with both Godfrey Wood and the Crimson defense napping Steve Gunther got the goal back for Yale at 6:57.

Three minutes later the Yalies tried more drastic tactics. Unable to get the puck into the goal by conventional means, Bucky Sides came barreling in and dumped both Wood and Dave Johnston into the nets.

The maneuver earned Sides five minutes in the penalty box, during which time Harvard skated furiously back and forth between its own goal and Yale's blue line trying to get off a decent shot. Finally at 13:33, Ron Thomson blasted a hard one from the blue line that Blakey deflected in for his second goal of the night.

The Crimson had hardly settled down to safe, defensive hockey in the third period when Tim Sargeant scored for Yale at 0:32. Undaunted, the Crimson settled down to safe, defensive hockey and watched Hildebrand pick up his second goal at 9:27, making the score 6-5 Harvard.